Interview with Ester Lopez
Interview with Ester Lopez
Affaire de Coeur's May Calendar Girl
Writing on the Edge of Reality
Ester Lopez is a sci-fi/paranormal adventure romance author and screenwriter.
- When did you start writing?
I started over 25 years ago. At least, it took me that long to learn the craft and figure out how to publish my first book.
- What have you learned about writing since you started?
It wasn't until I joined RWA (Romance Writers of America) and joined a local group and online groups: Smoky Mountain Romance Writers, FF&P of RWA, and Scriptscene RWA, that I learned a lot about writing. I learned about character development, plot, antagonists, protagonists, self-editing, and so much more. Then I learned about publishing and promoting back in 2013. But one thing I learned the most was that a writer is ALWAYS learning, or they can't grow as a writer. So I will never stop learning because in this day and age, the publishing world is fluid and ever-changing.
- Tell us about your new book or series.
The series is "The Vaedra Chronicles," a series that takes place in the Vaedra System. The first book, "The Abduction" is about an Earthen who is abducted by an alien who happens to be human. "On a lawless moon of Plexus, a resourceful loner struggles to escape his slave-trading father with the help of a beautiful Bounty Hunter who he realizes is worth more than his ticket back to Earth." In book two, "Revenge," "A reformed criminal struggles with a hidden power and the truth about the murdered brother of the revenge-seeking woman he loves." I'm currently working on book three, which I hope to have published by the end of this year. Its title is "Betrayed," "A promotion-seeking lieutenant and a feisty White House employee must find a missing landing party before a war-hungry Admiral and a conniving General unleash an intergalactic war of the worlds."
- What is your idea of a perfect writing day?
A perfect writing day is when the words start flowing from the characters and I frantically type as I see the scenes in my head and look up at the clock and realize it's been hours since I took my last break.
- How/where do you get your plot ideas?
Sometimes from the news, other people's comments about things, articles on space exploration or people's comments on space, UFO stories, dreams, and "what if?" questions.
- What is the most difficult thing about creating and developing characters?
I have met so many people over the years that characters are not hard to come by. It's the motive that is hard to figure out. Once I have a motive (Internal and External goals), then it becomes easier to flesh out the characters with mannerisms of people I've met over the years.
- What is your favorite thing about being an author?
Getting to BE someone different in each story-the heroine is always a little bit of ME (or who I wish I could be) like a Bounty Hunter, a Fitness Instructor, a White House Intern, etc.
- How many books do you currently have out on the market and what genres do they fall into?
Currently, I have two books in the sci-fi adventure romance genre.
- Will you be attending any book signings or conventions?
Yes, I will be attending RT Booklovers Convention this May, Thunder Road Author Rally in Maynardville, TN this September, and Indie Romance Convention (IRC) in October in Lebanon, TN.
- Pass on some words of wisdom, please, to aspiring authors.
- Never Give Up! Even when everyone is telling you you're wasting your time.
- Believe in Yourself! Even when others don't.
- Trust in God! For everything else, and especially for the strength to get you through the first two things.
Purchase Revenge by Ester Lopez
Personal web page: www.esterlopez.com
Facebook: esterlopez.1 and @EsterLopezAuthor